Thursday, October 18, 2012

Dance of the Beet Trucks

Ok, this post has nothing to do with anything family related, it's just something that happens in Grand Forks and I like to think of it as the dance of the beet trucks.  We have a Crystal Sugar plant in the 'area'(probably an hour away) and the sugar beet trucks have to go through Grand Forks, not via the highway.  The other day I was driving home with my daughter from the 'doggy cave'(humane society) and it was around 5pm and it seemed like every other car was a truck full of sugar beets.  They are big and I am always worried driving behind a beet truck that one is going to fall off and hit my windshield.

This is the first place I have lived that there was some big harvest other then corn.  It's kind of interesting to see all the trucks driving through the town.  They drive through the business district because it's the only way to get to the road that takes them to the sugar plant.  So you know it's October and beet harvest when you start seeing beets on the side of the road that have fallen off the trucks.  Doubt there are any trucks out today, or were out yesterday for that matter because it's been raining non stop and harvesting doesn't work well in the rain.

I don't know why I find beet harvest interesting but I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment