Monday, December 24, 2012

Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Also the busiest.  I know I haven't updated in a while, but with only one follower I doubt they missed my updates, but I will still keep plugging away.

It's been a crazy time between, work, baking, play dates and just general life.  A lot has happened recently.  I guess the biggest thing is that we purchased a new truck.  Totally not intentional, well we had always talked about how we would need to trade in/sell Casey's truck to get a more family friendly one if we wanted to have another baby.  So a week ago we went to the dealership just to claim a prize(they send us these scratch and win things on occasion) and of course they asked about us purchasing a new car.  They initially wanted to make an offer on my car but we need my car so we wouldn't trade it in so of course they then asked about my husbands truck.  We told them what we needed to happen, money wise for the truck and then payment wise for the new truck, in order for us to walk out with a new truck.  Well they made everything happen and the deal was good enough that we decided we didn't want to walk away from the offer.  Casey truck is getting up there in years and mileage so every passing day the value of the car would keep going down.  So we are now the proud owners of a new 2012 Dodge RAM 1500 four door.  And we have purchased a second carseat so Alexis can ride in it so we can use both cars as family cars which will help take some of the demand off my car and make my car last longer.  Alexis has named the new car the 'Jolly Roger' which goes with my car named 'Bucky'.  If you or your kids(if you have any) watch Jake and the Neverland Pirates you will know where those names come from.

Alexis and I have been having fun getting into the Christmas spirit.  We had a friend over and we decorated ginger bread houses.  Well actually it was only one house because I couldn't get mind standing before one of the sides fell over and broke apart.  We did get one standing.  The girls had fun, mainly eating the frosting, but it was a fun experience for all involved.  Alexis also made ornaments that were pinterest inspired.  She has really been getting into arts and crafts which will come in handy during the cold winter.  She has also been all about helping me bake christmas cookies.  She likes to help bump the ingredients into the bowls, help stir and with the peanut blossoms she helped roll the dough in the sugar and put them on the  baking sheet.  She really wanted to help put the hershey kisses on the cookies, but since that happens when they come right out of the oven I told her she had to be older to do that since the cookies and the pan are hot when you do it.  She even helped me wrap the presents.  She would hold down the paper while I got the tape and put it in and then after i wrote who they were for she would draw a little picture to add her little touch to it.

The other day I dared to make cut out sugar cookies.  For those who have ever made them or attempted to make them, it's a messy process because you need a lot of flour to keep them from sticking to the counter top.  Last year for Halloween I attempted it and it didn't go very well.  This year I figured out on secret to it.  You need to chill the down once you mix it all up.  Cold dough is easier and less sticky to roll out.  Although you still need a lot of flour, it just makes it a little easier to roll out.  So  I was able to successfully make a decent amount of cookies.  I finally used the christmas shaped cookie cutters I purchased last year at TJ Maxx.  Once the cookies were all cool I frosted them and then alexis added sprinkles.  She loves helping add the sprinkles.  Of course she kept asking if she could have a cookie and since it was around snack time I caved and let her have a couple.  She basically just as the frosting off the cookies.(why not it's the best part right?)  Well on the last cookie I gave her I put a bib on her because she was starting to make a mess with eating just the frosting.  I learned a lesson to not turn your back on a three year old eating a freshly frosted cookie.  I went into the living to the computer and when she was done eating her cookie she showed me her hands and they were stained red from the frosting.  So I truly do not know if she ate any of the frosting off that last cookie or just made a mess with the frosting.  Needless to say that it was bath time immediately following that.

So far we have had a great holiday season.  One more day off work before Christmas and then we get to spend the whole day as a family opening gifts and playing with new toys.  So here's is to a wonderful Christmas.
Alexis and Halle with their gingerbread house.
Alexis caught red(frosting) handed.

No comments:

Post a Comment